1. They make your clothes smell beautiful. Put your prettiest smelling, most treasured soaps (the ones too nice to unwrap) into your drawers and your clothes will always smell fresh.
2. They are practical. Many of us use liquid soaps in the shower these days – gels and creams – but there is nothing like a sturdy bar of soap for cleaning between your toes.
3. They are romantic. There is something about the paper and card packaging of a good soap, enveloping the bar like a sweet little present. Add in the classic, intricate designs of some of the older soap companies and a nice soap is a nostalgic pleasure to hold and to use.
4. They make lovely gifts. Over the years some of my favourite presents have been soap: for my first ever Mothers Day this year my mother in law gave me a decadently scented bar of Dior Addict soap.
5. They are affordable. Well not all of them are, but even the more expensive soaps offer value for money in the way the scent lingers after that long hot bath or shower, and they typically last a while too.
And five soaps to love:
1. Nesti Dante of Florence. The Peach soap is my absolute favourite and the bars are huge so if you do decide to actually bathe with them they last ages.
2. C.O. Bigelow. The Mentha Exfoliating Body Soap is crisply invigorating.
3. Dior. As I mentioned my mother in law gifted me Dior Addict in a soap. Dior also offer other highly fragrant soap companions to their perfumes.
4. Jo Malone Bath Soap. I have Lime Basil and Mandarin – the perfect clean scent for my linen closet.
5. Provence Sante.These beautifully boxed soaps smell delicious. Sweet Almond is my favourite, along with Apricot.